At Winkler CPA & Consulting, PC our tax advisors work overtime to keep up with the ever-changing tax laws of this country.
Our strategies help you to create a successful plan to reduce your taxes. When you need advice or preparation with your personal return, we will deploy our tax preparation expertise, education and years of experience to advise you. We also provide nationwide consulting services, estate and retirement planning, tax advice and succession planning.
Personal Tax Preparation and Planning
Winkler CPA & Consulting, PC goes beyond the 1040 return to analyze both current and projected income. We make recommendations for tax strategies and deductions all year long and with our year-end planning recommendations.
Winkler CPA & Consulting, PC helps you grow and preserve assets, defer income, and reduce taxes on your income, estate, gifts, investments and retirement distributions.
Individual Tax Checklist
Please bring the following information to our first meeting:
- Social security number of any new dependents in the current tax year
- Estimated payments — date of payment and amount
- Current e-mail address
- Direct Deposit:
- Bank Name
- Bank Routing transit number
- Account number
- Type of account (checking/savings)
- IRA contribution (traditional/Roth)
- W-2 Wage Statements
- 1099’s – Interest from banks or self-employment income
- Alimony (if recently divorced – divorce settlement papers)
- Refunds from state departments of revenue (i.e., Arizona refund)
- Capital gain – from mutual funds
- Any pension distributions
- Rental income
- Unemployment compensation
- Social Security benefits
- Information on any sale:
- Sale price
- Date of purchase
- Date of sale
- Acquisition price
- Improvements – if on a piece of rental property
All income is subject to taxes. The above is a list of the most common sources of income.
- Medical expenses
- Medical mileage
- Nursing home costs
- Rehabilitation costs
- State taxes paid in current tax year for prior years
- Real estate taxes
- Personal property taxes (in Arizona, that is your car license)
- Home mortgage interest
- Charitable gifts, both cash and non-cash
- Cost of prior year tax preparation and accounting paid current tax year
- Employee expenses – travel between jobs, professional dues, education, etc.
- Investment expenses, safe deposit box, investment magazines
- If you have your own business, any business expenses:
- Car expenses
- Total miles driven
- Business miles driven
- Commute miles
- Actual expenses: repairs, gasoline, service, license plate tags, etc.
- Year and make of car
- Commissions and fees
- Furniture and Equipment purchases (also need dates purchased)
- Business insurance
- Rent (paid for business space) – Did you remember to issue a Form 1099 to the landlord?
- Legal and professional services
- Office expenses: utilities, cleaning service, telephone
- Supplies: paper, pens, computer cartridges, etc.
- Meals and entertainment
- Other expenses (example: long distance telephone calls)
- Retirement contribution
- Medical Savings Plan contribution
- Rental expenses from homes or other property that you rent to someone else.
- Teaching supplies, if you are an educator
The above list is not exhaustive. Generally, deductions are allowed if used to produce income.
Other Miscellaneous Items
- Please bring mortgage documents if you have purchased, sold or refinanced your home in the current tax year